- PACK AN OVERNIGHT BAG – Chances are that you will be too tired to unpack after your move. You’ll want your essentials, including a change of clothes and basic toiletries, within easy access.
- LABEL ALL BOXES – In addition to labeling the contents of your boxes, label what room they’ll be going into. Put your labels on the sides of the boxes for easy viewing. Unpack your boxes room by room for a more manageable transition.
- TAKE PHOTOS – Take photos of all electronic items so you can remember how and where all the wires go prior to detaching all cords. If renting, take photos of the apartment you are vacating once everything is removed. This will prevent you from having to deal with the headache of paying unnecessary fees for cleaning and repairs.
- SANDWICH BAGS – Sandwich bags are handy for keeping track of small items and parts to items being disassembled for the move. Tape the bag to the back of the corresponding piece of furniture for easy access.
- DONATE UNWANTED ITEMS – Make arrangements with local charities to come to your home to pick up unwanted items. We also offer disposal services to accommodate your needs. This will save you the time and trouble of having to take the items yourself, and will greatly reduce the amount of unwanted items included in the move.
- CHANGE OF ADDRESS – Contact your utility companies two weeks in advance to make arrangements to transfer your account over to your address. Notify your local post office with a change of address to guarantee the forwarding of your mail. You can also change your address through online access.
- COMMUNICATION – Communication is key when dealing with a moving company. Always stay in touch with them concerning any changes to your schedule, additions to your inventory, packing issues, or any additional information that will help the moving team work efficiently and effectively the day of the move. If you are moving in or out of an apartment building, notify the manager to make arrangements to reserve truck parking and elevator accessibility.
- VISUAL INSPECTIONS – Make arrangements for your moving company to inspect your home and inventory prior to your move.
- PACKING SUPPLIES – Cheaper is not always better. When packing valuable or breakable items, always use good quality products (including boxes and wrapping materials) to ensure their protection. Packing tape should always be used instead of masking tape or duct tape. High-quality packing materials and supplies can be purchased directly from your moving company and delivered prior to your move for your convenience.
- PHONE CONTACT – Make sure that your moving company has a valid working cell phone or land line contact number for you before the day of the move.
Ensure that you’re ready for your next move by preparing properly with our moving tips. Our staff in Quincy, Massachusetts looks forward to helping you move your property when you contact us for help.